TripAdvisor® announced its Travellers’ Choice™ awards for museums around the globe together with top tips from contributors for visiting museums. In total, 591 winners were identified. The awards are based on the millions of valuable reviews and opinions from TripAdvisor travellers worldwide. Award winners were determined using an algorithm that took into account the quantity and quality of reviews for museums around the world, gathered over a 12-month period. Presenting to you the top 10 Travellers’ Choice Museums in the World:
1. The Metropolitan Museum of Art – New York City, New York
Since 1870, this iconic institution on Manhattan’s Upper East Side has strived to “connect people to creativity, knowledge and ideas” through art. The museum hosts the most extensive display of 17th century Dutch art in the Western Hemisphere, with masterpieces by Frans Hals, Rembrandt and Vermeer. A TripAdvisor reviewer said, “All exhibitions are incredible, the building itself is beautiful, and the artifacts available inside take you on a memorable, historic journey.”
2. Musee d’Orsay – Paris, France
Situated in the centre of Paris on the banks of the Seine, the Musee d’Orsay, houses the world’s most phenomenal collections of impressionist and post-impressionist master pieces. A TripAdvisor reviewer commented, “A must see for art lovers. The impressionists section is breathtaking.”
3. Art Institute of Chicago – Chicago, Illinois
Founded in 1879, the renowned Chicago museum houses nearly 300,000 impressive works including one of the most expansive collections of modern art with pieces such as Picasso’s “Old Guitarist,” O’Keeffe’s “Black Cross,” and Matisse’s “Bathers by a River.” A TripAdvisor reviewer wrote, “Plan on spending at least three hours in this beautiful place. I could not believe they had an entire room full of original Monets, Jackson Pollock, Warhol, and Johns – yes please!”
4. Museo Nacional del Prado – Madrid, Spain
The Prado Museum in Madrid specialises in European art from the 12th-19th century and includes roughly 7,600 paintings, 1,000 sculptures, 4,800 prints and 8,200 drawings. The museums most famous piece is the Las Meninas by Diego Valazquez. A TripAdvisor reviewer said, “This is a wonderful, not to be missed, museum with the most amazing art collection.”
5. Musee du Louvre – Paris, France
Originally the former residence of the kings of France, The Musee du Louvre is one of the biggest museums in the world, with its collection spread across 8 departments. The world renowned museum also houses the acclaimed Mona Lisa, and is a must visit for travellers visiting Paris, France. A TripAdvisor reviewers commented, “This museum is extraordinary beyond words.”
6. State Hermitage Museum and Winter Palace – St. Petersburg, Russia
Founded in 1764 by Russian empress Catherine the Great, the enormous State Hermitage Museum and Winter Palace boasts an impressive collection of more than three million works of art. A TripAdvisor reviewer said, “Ostentatious and beautiful: full of wondrous rooms and objects.
7. National Gallery – London, England
The iconic museum on London’s Trafalgar Square, boats a collection of more than 2,300 paintings created from the Middle Ages to the early 20th century. A TripAdvisor reviewer commented, “One of the best art galleries of the world. Large valuable collection and very centrally located.”
8. The Rijksmuseum (National Museum) – Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Established in The Hague in 1800, The Rijksmuseum moved to Amsterdam in 1808, where it was first located in the Royal Palace and later in the Trippenhaus. The renowned Netherlands national museum is dedicated to arts and history in Amsterdam. A TripAdvisor reviewer exclaimed, “Beautiful, breathtaking … Rembrand!”
9. Vasa Museum – Stockholm, Sweden
Stockholm’s Vasa Museum is dedicated to the 17th century Vasa warship, which sank on her maiden voyage in Stockholm in 1628, and was salvaged 333 years later in 1961. The ship is on display in its original glory for visitors of the maritime museum to admire. “Beautifully restored and displayed artifact,” said a TripAdvisor reviewer.
10. National Museum of Anthropology (Museo Nacional de Antropologia) – Mexico City, Mexico
Mexico’s National Museum of Anthropology is home to one of the world’s most comprehensive and largest collections of archaeological and anthropological artifacts from prehispanic Mayan civilisations to the Spanish conquest. “One of the most impressive museums I have ever visited! From the architecture of its building to the heritage collection many details are taken care of,” said a TripAdvisor reviewer.
Five Tips for Visiting Museums from TripAdvisor Contributors
1. When visiting the City of Light, a “Paris Museum Pass” can be a good value if visiting several sights per day and will allow quicker entry at most places including the Musee d’Orsay. – TripAdvisor member innaMontreal.
2. Check opening hours. Many larger museums are open late at night at least once a week and there tend to be fewer visitors in the evening. – TripAdvisor member Mez3000
3. Sign up with each of the museums that interest you. They’ll send regular newsletters about upcoming and current exhibits. Some of the exhibits that tour the country are world-class and worth the extra entry fee. – TripAdvisor member Aynat62
4. If you’re going to the museum with kids, go early, and do something fun like a scavenger hunt to make it interesting for them. – TripAdvisor member ziggy60
5. Wear comfortable shoes and bring extra money. There may be things you want to do that were unexpected, like getting tickets to the IMAX theaters or planetarium (at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington D.C.), and gift shop items. – TripAdvisor member 67karen
For the complete list of winners from the 2015 Travellers’ Choice Museums, as well as reviews and candid traveller photos, go to: www.tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Museums.